Bed Bugs are tiny wingless parasites found all over the world. They feed on human blood. Bed bugs hide in beds and mattresses. Their painless bites become itchy and swell into red spots. Their presence is stressful and annoying.
Bed bugs are tiny creatures that cause terrible infestations in the home. They move from one place to another by clinging to clothes or luggage. Having a bug infestation doesn’t mean your home is dirty and deserted; it simply means that you or your belongings have come into contact with an infected area.
Causes and precautions
Travel is the main cause of bed bug infestation. Places like hotels and motels are exclusive spots for getting bed bugs. These bugs can find a way to get into your luggage if you put it on your bed or closet in these places. Bed bugs hide in the layers of mattresses, bedding such as sheets and blankets, under loose ends of wallpaper, between cracks in wood floors and wall cracks or crevices. Moreover, they can be found in carpets and seams, and cracks. They ride on infected items, including furniture, suitcases, clothing, bags and backpacks.
Avoid buying used furniture, which is another cause of pest infestation. You may not know if that piece of furniture already has some bugs. Use a flashlight and carefully check edges, seams or cracks for bed bugs.
Bed bugs come into your homes through schools, colleges and day care centers. Since these bugs are so easily transferred through clothing and other materials, your children may bring them home from school or when they come over during a college break. They can also survive pesticides, moving away from sprayed areas and finding new places to live.
Is the Bite Poisonous?
Insect bites are not serious; the bites clear up on their own within a week. If an insect bites a person, he can apply a clean, wet cloth to the affected area to prevent itching and swelling. Do not scratch the bites; you may get an infection.
- Prevention is the best way to stop these minor infestations. Clean your house every day. Wash the sheets once a week and dry them in the dryer. Vacuum carpets and cushions regularly and keep rooms clutter-free.
- When traveling, check the bottom layers and folds of the bed before using them. Clean all luggage with alcohol after you return from your trip. Wash all your clothes thoroughly.
- Please get rid of unused items such as old magazines and newspapers; a cluttered house is a perfect space to hide and lay eggs. Dark crevices provide a great place to hide.
- Check for any cracks or splits and seal them. Make sure the carpet is not loose and repair any damage. Bed bugs can hide in cardboard. Do not keep clothing and accessories on the floor. Throw away any unused items you no longer need.
- Clean the pillowcases, sheets and mattress cover and wash everything in hot water. Dry the items on high heat. If you expose insects to excessive heat, they will surely die. So iron or steam clean all clothes and sheets.
Bed bugs are unwanted and the sooner you identify them, the sooner you can get a solution. Summon a reputation exterminator in San Antonio today.